Elder Spencer Rickers

Elder Spencer Rickers

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No more "Valencia Snobs" just crazy people, gansters, and the Armenian Mob!

Dear Family and Friends
Well some crazy things went down this transfer. So let me tell ya--
I have been transferred to The North Hollywood ward In Burbank! Which is awesome because there are allot of cool members, and missionaries down in this zone. Elder Burbidge and Elder Condiff are our zone leaders, which is awesome because they're some of my good friends on the mission.
So, about Wednesday--we get a call in the middle of the day that Elder Holley is training and that his greenie is waiting at the office. So mid week we found that he would be training and I would be leaving, which threw some things off, but it's all right because we got Elder Holley and his greenie (who is awesome-- Elder Kim) all set and oriented and updated on our massive amount of potential investigators and stuff.
To be honest the last week and a half there in V3 were maybe the toughest of my mission. We worked our tails off for 3 months and prayed our little hearts out, and it seemed like nothing happened. I was majorly discouraged, and still am a little discouraged, but I'm working through it, and I'm pumped about this new area and what we can do. Oh a little bit about Elder Kim: He served in the military in Korea for 2 years before his mission and went to school and sang opera professionally. So he is actually 24, but his testimony is way strong, and I don't think I've ever met a greenie with more desire and energy than Elder Kim. He will be a great missionary.
My new companion is Korean too! His name is Elder Park. He was Elder Holley's companion the transfer before I got Elder Holley. Wow Hollywood, or the part I'm in, is just as ghetto as my first area. There is a crazy looking bum sitting right next to me and he smells like alcohol, and appears to be drooling a bit. haha. Well I feel more like a missionary in the city anyway, and its good to be working with humble people. No more Valencia Snobs to deal with, only crazy people and gangsters, and a whole lot of other people who are all Children of God. Oh and don't forget the Armenian Mob! Biggy here...
Well I threw out my back this week, but Dr. Webb came to the rescue with his awesome Chiropractic skills. I got two adjustments this week because I threw it out again after he did it the first time. He said I should take it easy for at least 4 weeks. Good thing is, though, that there are still some core exercises I can do, and I can still jump rope. I threw it out after moving lots of heavy things for someone on Halloween, coupled with a bit of an extreme work out, and doing some flips to show off (didn't warm up first), and playing badminton. Badminton was the final straw I guess. One of the reasons is probably that I have been neglecting lower back exercises since I left. But I realize now that I used to do a ton of lower back exercises in cross fit. In fact, almost every other workout would have some lower back exercise. So I'm going to be retooling my workout and take it easy for the next 4-5 weeks. Good thing is, though, that there is a Bar Park, a legit one, a block away from my new apartment with rings, parallel bars, pull-up bars, everything!
My new address is
6730 Riverton, Apt #231, North Hollywood CA 91606
I'll probably spend the next little bit here, It will be great. Seems like things are looking up, The zone and district seems pretty cool.
Well we are off to go shopping very soon so I got to head out. I'm looking forward to maintaining a positive attitude and just ignoring the bad, and when I do notice the bad, just laugh because going through tough times just makes us stronger in the end. When the Lord is on our side we have nothing to fear, don't listen to the negative thoughts. They don't do any good, and no amount of sorrow will do anybody any good. I really just need to work on forgetting myself just go back to working like I have been, and re-ignite that burning desire I've had my whole mission to just get out there no matter what and just do all I can to help others come unto Christ. My year mark is this week, and I plan on making my next year even better in every way possible.
Well Love you all!
till next P-day
-Elder Rickers

No comments:

Post a Comment