Elder Spencer Rickers

Elder Spencer Rickers

Monday, February 28, 2011

I was on bike all day and it was great...I will also be moving locations

Hello Hello, and another sunny day in California.

It actually got really chilly this week, it got down to 50 degrees. That's FREEZING weather here, got a bit of rain as well. This week went by super fast, but first I’ll give you the info you asked for missionary month Mom:

Here we go, Names of our Investigators:
•Connie Curtis (working on getting to church and baptismal date. Feels what we have taught is true.)
•Marie Larson (Baptismal date for the 20th of March)
•Suzanne
•Bro. Carter (Part member family)
•Sis. Marybeth Boddy. (Part Member, Setting Baptismal date soon hopefully.)
•Norma (Sis. Boddy's friend)
•Marcos Fletes (Part member, Wife Inactive, Two kids one baby boy named Axle, one 5 year old named Ivy)
•Keisha (New Investigator, has little little boy named Samuel 7 years old)
•April (Not progressing)
•Andrea (Not Progressing)
•Janece Feliciano (Not Progressing)
•Alfred (gung ho Born again Christian but is open to learning more of the truth, comes to church.)

I'll get my pictures sent today/ tomorrow, because I think the mailman already came to get mail.

Skills for Missionary month:

The most important thing you can do is have the spirit with you. Also learn how to ask questions that will let you know what is most important to the investigator. Then you need to apply how the gospel will help them with what is most important to them. Usually people either say Family, or Life, or Finding happiness. You then need to apply the correct gospel principles and explain how the gospel will bless them. So asking inspired questions is a big skill to learn--and It’s actually really hard some times. I have not mastered question asking yet.

Also just being real and learning to love who you teach is the probably the other big skill. In other words having charity toward everyone, and having a sincere desire to share the gospel with them. First you have to love and recognize the effects the gospel has had in your life, then you will be able to help others have a desire to live the gospel.

The number one thing you can do now to prepare for a mission is to strengthen your testimony and realize that living the gospel will bring you the most happiness. If you really have a testimony of the gospel, you will automatically have the desire to share it with those that do not have it, or those that are not living it. After that--sharing the gospel becomes easy!

Anyway this week was really great. I got to go on exchanges with Elder Hart who is in our district. I was on bike all day and it was great. I didn't get tired, but my rear end was red and raw after going over 14 miles on bike throughout the day--plus the bike that I was borrowing was way crappy. I still might buy a bike from an elder in my apartment. But I want to wait to know what is going to happen next transfer first. Both Elder Jeffery and I will be moving locations either way though because they are moving all the English elders in our ward into a new pad. So if I stay in this area I will be moving anyway. So anything that is sent this week has to get to my current address before Monday next week.

We had a good week where we were scrambling to visit as many people before the end. We also had stake conference here and it was nice because the whole thing was focused on missionary work. I feel that the church in general is gearing up for a big spurt of missionary work because who knows the middle east might be open sooner than we think because all those protests and what not. How exciting! We had a ton of fun on Saturday when we did another Media booth near the mall and Walmart on the street corner. Gave away 12 or 14 copies of The Book of Mormon and a ton of pass along cards and pamphlets.

I did get the letters that were sent last week. That "Spencer Mobile" looks awesome! Ha ha I didn't know you had to buy the quad I wrecked during our sand dune adventure! Sorry about that, but at least Dad had an excuse to get another snowmobile by trading it! XD

I really enjoy all of your letters. Sorry I don't have very much time to respond to all of them, but keep sending them.

Love you Mom, Dad, Sariah, Milly, Ben, Joe, Oma, Grandpa, and everyone!

Till next P-day:

ELDer Rickers

No comments:

Post a Comment